Thursday 14 May 2015

It's sweet, its savoury, its Plantain Puffies on fleek!!!



I'm officially saying goodbye to good old puffies as we've always known them. This newly discovered recipe is off the chain. I've had plantain and banana fritters in the past but these stood out for me because of the combo of spicy and sweet. I also blended the plantain and used yeast for the mix rather than baking soda which is what's used for the fritters.


INGREDIENTS
Sugar 1/2 cup
Water 2, 1/2 cups
Yeast, 7g
Salt, a pinch
Chopped Onions, 1 Tbsp (fresh or dried)
Chilli flakes or dried ground pepper, 1 tsp
All Purpose Flour, 3 cups
Cinnamon powder, 1 Tsp
1 ripe plantain.




METHOD
Activate your yeast by mixing it with a cup of water from the 2,1/2 cups and set aside (make sure your water is not too hot or too cold, it should be about the temperature of baby milk in a bottle)

Mix all the dry ingredients in a clean, deep bowl.



 Quickly blend your plantain with some of the water allowed in the recipe.


 Your activated yeast should be frothy in about 6 minutes. Pour this into the flour mix in the bowl.


 Pour in the blended plantain and mix. At the same time add the remaining water and stir thoroughly.



 Your batter shouldn't be too runny.


 Cover and keep in a warm place. I normally switch on my oven for a minute to make it warm before keeping my mix there for about 45-60mins.


 See how its doubled in size? Ready for frying!!!


 I use my hand to drop the mix in hot oil. Turn with a fork as it begins to cook.


 Don't they look lovely?
Serve with a cold drink or hot tea...whatever catches your fancy.



5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's tasted heavenly, u can add in any flavour off your choice

      Delete
  2. I am going to try to make these today. Will keep you posted!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and the first pics made me drooling over the recipe and I would love to have them right now. Will be trying them today as an extra for the dinner.

    ReplyDelete