Friday 29 May 2015

Chunky peppers and grilled turkey stew



In my home we eat stew a lot!!! My family can eat rice every single day as my husband is convinced that the egusi and banga soups of this world cause him to have pimples!!! This means to prevent monotonous taste I have to change my switch my stew pattern often. I'm sure I have about twenty different styles of Nigerian stew alone. This is one of them.
If you want a stew that tastes awesome and is brimming with fresh semi crunchy colorful veggies, this is the stew for you. This is not a stew for swallow, its better for rice, pasta, yam and as a dip for fried finger foods like plantains and yams.

INGREDIENTS
5 big fresh tomatoes
3-4 colored bell peppers (Tatashe)
Spring Onions
Seasoning Cube
Scotch bonnet pepper (Atarodo)
Fresh turkey wings
1 large onion




PREPARATION


Season and boil your turkey with onions, stock cube and any herbs e.g. thyme


Arrange cooked turkey on your baking pan and sprinkle additional seasoning on it before putting in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350f/177c to grill. You can also use the grill/broil function on High for about 15 minutes on each side.


Here's the finished product. Yum!!!



Chop the bell peppers, Onions, spring onions and regular onions and set aside. You can do this while the turkey is in the oven.


Because I don't want to boil my blended tomato/pepper mix, I'll boil the tomatoes for under 10 minutes. I also use this method on my regular stews sometimes. Once the tomatoes skin gets wrinkly and starts to peal off, it's ready.

Blend the boiled tomatoes with the ata todo/scotch bonnet into a rough paste and set aside.



Now the fun part! We start to fry our chopped veggies in heated oil. Always start with the onions first. When its fried a bit you can add the other veggies and stir.

Keep stirring on heat for about 5-10 minutes. Your kitchen would be smelling awesome by this time. Don't get tempted into turning this into a stir fry, lol.


Pour in your blended mix and continue to stir on heat. Allow it all to bubble and fry for about 10-15 minutes


Add the stock from your cooked turkey.

Then cover to simmer further



After 10-15mins, taste for seasoning.. If require add some more stock cubes.


Next add in the grilled turkey.. Stir, then allow to cook for 3-5mins

Looks for yum yum , refreshing and colourful.. Ready to be paired with any side of your choice


No comments:

Post a Comment