Thursday 14 May 2015

Homebaked delicious Sausage Rolls... something for the weekend


There's something about a warm piece of sausage roll and a cuppa you just have to love. For me its a comfort food I can't get enough of any time, any day. I try not to make it often for my household as I would always end up pigging out on them!!!


INGREDIENTS
Sausage meat (Remember to precook before using, grilling or frying are recommended)
500g plain or all purpose flour
250g butter (I used vegetable margarine which is pretty good for pastries)
2 eggs
1 Tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of salt
About 200ml of cold water
Chilli flakes or ground dry pepper

*


METHOD
Combine all dry ingredients with the butter, 1 egg and water.


Combine gently. This doesn't need heavy mixing so hand can be used. Roll up dough and wrap up with long film. Set aside in the fridge for about 30mins or more (the longer the better).


Once the dough is taken out of the fridge or cold place, allow it to rest for 5mins or so befor rolling out. Now place the dough on a  clean surface, then start rolling out.


Cut the dough into rectangular shapes and put some of your previously prepared sausage inside. Roll and seal each with a pastry brush and the second egg.


Place each on a baking pan. I use wax paper to line my pans. If you don't have wax paper, simply prepare your pan by applying a thin coat of butter or oil inside, then coating with flour.
Using your pastry brush, do a quick egg wash over the rolls so that they will come out of the oven glossy and more appealing.


Place in your preheated oven and bake for about 20 minutes or it begins to turn a light golden brown. The temperature I used was Gas Mark 5 /190c /375f.





Here's the baked, flaky, deliciousness all ready to be tucked in to!!! I served with some sweet chilli sauce.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so trying out this Nigerian Sausage very soon. Iya Sukura welldone! 👍👌👊

    ReplyDelete