Friday 20 March 2015

Healthy toasted puff puff, also same recipe but with a toaster (TOASTER PUFF PUFF)







If you ever lived in Nigeria and certain parts of West Africa you'll understand our love for this greasy, deep fried snack. It's also a popular finger food at parties.

I love them a lot but the deep fried aspect makes me stay away from them.  After seeing Abimbola's toaster cake I got thinking and I reckoned, why not?
I brought out my toaster and began the "experiment" as my kids called it.
The result was phenomenal, fluffy and tasty puffies without all that grease we've come to associate with it.
The kids loved it and they are not an easy bunch to please.
How can you achieve this healthier version of the popular snack?

YOU'LL NEED

270g of self raising flour or wholemeal flour
7g fast active dry yeast
270ml cup of warm water
1/2 cup of granulated Sugar or caster 
1 teaspoon of nutmeg or vanilla or any flavouring of your choice
A  pinch of salt

METHOD


We have to activate our yeast first of all by pouring it into a small bowl...
                                                     

Add a spoonful of sugar from the measured sugar

and some warm water from the 270ml, not too hot please.. because that would kill the yeast.


 stir and set aside, the yeast would be activated in about five minutes.



 Pour your flour in a clean bowl.



 Add your dry ingredients(sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg) mix together



Now add the wet ingredients. In goes the yeast..


Then the water.


Combine all ingredients and mix together, if its lumpy, use your hands (washed of course!!!)

The consistency should be close to runny but not runny.



Cover with a clean towel and set aside in a warm place for about 45 mins. I sometimes keep in my microwave oven when I'm sure there won't be interference.


Plug in your toaster/sandwich maker, grease the bottom and top parts with a pastry brush.


Now pour in some batter, using the spoon to spread evenly across. Before closing the toaster, make sure the top part is well greased to avoid having your batter stick to it.


 Depending on your toaster heat settings, you should have this beauty ready in about 3mins.


Serve and enjoy!!!
I used store bought sweet chilli and the marriage of sweet and savoury was awesome!!! Nothing beat an 

4 comments:

  1. Never thought of this method sha.... I'm definitely trying this.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this recipe and it was lovely. My son who is fussy about puff puff enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwww that so sweet to hear, even the kiddies love it. thanks

      Delete